But seriously, these will not only be the best enchiladas you have ever eaten, but the best thing you have ever put in your mouth. If I ever had to have a "last meal," this would without a doubt be it. I debated sharing this recipe because it is so special to me. It is the first recipe I remember making with my mom. She was kind of famous for these and it made me think she was the best cook in existence(which she is). I finally decided that they were too good not to share, so I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
1 TBS Olive Oil
3-4 chicken breasts
1 medium onion
1/4 TSP cumin
1/4 TSP ground red pepper
1/4 TSP Lawrys garlic salt
1/4 TSP paprika
1/4 TSP salt
3 12 oz. (or 1 30 oz.) cans of green chile enchilada sauce (Las Palmas brand is best)
1 4.5 oz. can of mild chopped green chiles
1 1/2 cups of sour cream
1 tub cream cheese
14-15 corn tortillas
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 bags of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Heat olive oil in large skillet
2. Cut chicken and onion into small pieces and saute in olive oil
3. Add all seasonings and cook until golden brown
4. Combine enchilada sauce, green chiles, and sour cream in a large sauce pan and warm on medium heat, stirring occasionally
5. Heat vegetable oil in a small skillet
6. When slightly bubbling, add tortillas one at a time, cooking 3-4 seconds. Do not overcook tortillas, they should still be soft
7. After cooking slightly, fill each tortilla with 1 TSP cream cheese and 1 TBS chicken mixture. Roll the tortilla and place it in a glass, rectangular baking dish.
8.Repeat until the entire baking dish is full
9. Cover entire baking dish with the enchilada sauce mixture
10. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top
11. Cook enchiladas for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving
This isn't the easiest or the healthiest recipe you will ever make, but they are SO worth it. I actually enjoy the process of making these. It is fun to make a fiesta out of it.
Also, these enchiladas are best the second day. We always fight over the leftovers in our house!