Saturday, June 16, 2012


I plan on posting about each event from the past couple of weeks, including the wedding. Just a small disclaimer, though, they will be out of order. Everyone has been asking about the honeymoon, so here you go!

The day after our wedding, Jake and I began to get very nervous. We had discovered that a tropical storm was headed for South Carolina, not so conveniently right in time for our honeymoon in Hilton Head. We checked the weather non-stop and found that the storm was supposed to make landfall Monday night. We had planned to leave Monday morning and possibly spend time in Myrtle beach, but we decided to drive down to on Tuesday instead. We left early Tuesday morning and spent the afternoon and night in Charleston at my parents house. It was good to spend a little bit of time with them after all of the wedding chaos was over. We couldn't check into our condo in Hilton Head until 4 on Wednesday, so we decided to go to Savannah that morning.

Savannah Highway. What tropical storm?? The weather was perfect.

The drive from Charleston to Savannah was gorgeous. We spent the morning walking around downtown Savannah and getting lunch at a place on the river. Savannah was beautiful. I loved the architecture and the artsy feel.
The trees were amazing!

After we were worn out from walking all day in Savannah, we headed to Hilton Head. We checked into our cute condo right on the beach and next the the main shopping center. We hit the beach right when we got there for a bit. We then went to the Piggly Wiggly to get breakfast and lunch supplies. We wanted to find a really good place to eat nearby and had heard that The Big Bamboo was good. When we go there, we were seated, but then all of the servers ignored us for about 15 minutes before Jake and I decided to leave. We went to another restaurant in the shopping center that we discovered was owned by a Western Kentucky Alum.

Thursday we went to the beach at 10 am and spent the whole day there. It was perfect weather and the beach was great despite being very crowded.
Jake is ready for the beach!
Despite all of the laying out I had already been doing, I got extremely sunburnt. I have a picture of it, but that would require me posting a picture of me in my swimsuit and that is not going to happen, sorry. Three weeks later and I am still peeling from this sunburn. Peeling might actually be an understatement. I am shedding an entire layer of skin from head to toe, just like a snake. It is disgusting and despite my best efforts of exfoliating and moisturizing, people are still looking at me like I have a disease.

After the beach, we decided to make dinner at the condo. When I say we, I mean Jake tells me what to cook and then watches me cook it. But I guess I probably wouldn't want him to cook anyways haha.

The next day we rode wave runners in the morning. It was so much fun! We then explored South Beach and ate lunch at the Salty Dog Cafe. After that we went home, took a nap, and got ready for dinner. We took a walk on the beach before heading out to a restaurant with live music in Harbor Town. We listened to live music and walked around. We also got to see a really pretty sunset.

Jake loved the wildlife. He chased crabs and picked them up. He made me take a picture with him and this dead, giant horseshoe crab. He also made me chase a raccoon that was eating crabs so I could take pictures of him.

The next morning we took a walk on the beach, packed up, and drove the 9 hours home. The honeymoon was pretty short, but we were both ready to get home and start out new, "normal" life together. (Normal being used loosely here)

Until next time,

J and M


I'd love to hear what you have to say!